Senior Software Engineer - Java/Go
Description About this role
When BlackRock was started in 1988, its founders envisioned a company that combined the best of financial services with cutting edge technology. They imagined a company that would provide financial services to clients as well as technology services to other financial firms. The result of their vision is Aladdin, our industry leading, end-to-end investment management platform. Data is at the heart of Aladdin and of everything we do. The DataOps Engineering team is responsible for building and maintaining a cutting edge data platform that provides quality data for Investors, Operations Teams, Data Scientists, and all users of the platform.
Data is at the core of the Aladdin platform, and increasingly, our ability to consume, store, analyze, and gain insight from data is a key component of our competitive advantage. The DataOps Engineering team is responsible for the data ecosystem within BlackRock. We engineer high performance data pipelines, provide a fabric to discover and consume data, and continually evolve our data storage capabilities. We believe in writing small, testable code with a focus on innovation. We are committed to open source, and we regularly contribute our work back to the community. As a Data Engineer in the DataOps Engineering team you will:
- Design and build large scale data storage and distribution systems
- Partner with systems engineers and analytics specialists to deliver high quality analytical and derived data to our consumers
- Engineer performant, scalable services and APIs
- Have fun as part of an awesome team
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary squad to establish our next generation of data pipelines and tools
- Be involved from inception of projects, understanding requirements, crafting and developing solutions and incorporating them into the designs of our platforms
- Mentor team members on technology and standard methodologies
- Build and maintain positive relationships between DataOps Engineering and our Technology and Aladdin development teams
- Design data platforms to handle large volumes of time series data
- Develop high performance services, APIs and applications on top of our data platforms
- Assist in troubleshooting issues and support the operation of production software
- 5 + years of professional experiences in programming with Java or Go
- Robust object-oriented design pattern knowledge and implementation experience using one or more object-oriented languages (e.g. Java, C/C++, Python)
- Advanced knowledge and experience developing and working with relational databases (e.g. MySQL, Sybase) and NoSQL distributed storage technologies (e.g. Cassandra, HBase)
- Experience with multi-tier application architecture and high performance distributed and in-memory caching solutions
- Strong understanding of data modeling techniques
- Knowledge and experience adhering to software development life cycle standard methodologies including test driven development, unit testing discipline, agile development, and CI/CD strategies
- Passion for engineering highly available, performant systems
- Working knowledge of building and deploying distributed systems
- Creativity and resourcefulness to problem solve independently
- Curiosity and drive to learn new things and build new solutions
- Excellent communication skills, time management, organization, and attention to detail
- Experience with the API management ecosystem, Service Discovery, and API Gateways. Strong knowledge of Restful API design principles, security standards and implementation.
- Experience with cloud technologies (e.g. Kubernetes, Docker, OpenStack, Kafka) a plus
- Passion for design and details to deliver a great overall UX
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, our clients turn to us for the solutions they need when planning for their most important goals. As of September 30, 2020, the firm managed approximately $7.81 trillion in assets on behalf of investors worldwide.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock .
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.