- Competitive compensation package
- Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
- Permanent, Full time
- Flow Traders
- Full time
- Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
- 20 Jun 19
In the current trading environment, you need a combination of intelligent strategies as well as speed in order to act on market opportunities. In order to achieve this, Flow Traders searches talented engineers to help us design, build and optimize our trading infrastructure and strategies together with the business. As an FPGA engineer, you will be working with a small team developing Flow Trader's extremely low latency applications. You will be expected to take responsibility for the complete solution, which involves not only development and testing, but latency benchmarking, product deployment, and automating processes to improve productivity.
A Day in the life of a FPGA Engineer
A new feature has been rolled out overnight so I had to come to the office early to oversee as a product specialist a significant operational upgrade and provide support if needed.
My FPGA teammate joins me shortly and we have a quick small talk before diving into work. Traders report a minor issue and we make a quick analysis of the situation, find a workaround and advise Trading Support with the set up. Once the situation is stable, we head to the lounge to have breakfast and afterwards take time to catch up on emails.
We take time to analyze the events from the morning with the team and assign the tasks that need to be worked on today. Bug fix and a script automating a manual execution are examples of our today’s assignments.
Later on, we have our weekly team meeting. We discuss current state of our projects, architecture, issues, and forecast for the next week. Decisions are always being discussed together, and we make sure we are aligned on every subject. Since we have offices in multiple geographies, we need to regularly liaise with our colleagues in remote offices. Today we are working with the APAC support team to arrange the smooth deployment of one of our application in Asia DCs. I am in charge of benchmarking an IP we want to use for our next project. After checking results of compilations that were running overnight, I proceed to setup the lab infrastructure for my measurements and get latency numbers.
Time for lunch in our lounge. It is Wednesday so the meal is really prepared and presented to satisfy every foodie. It is also a nice opportunity to meet other colleagues or grab a newspaper and catch up on current affairs.
After lunch, I quickly catch up on my emails and start working on our new project. Most of the architecture design decisions have already been made, and I can now dive into System Verilog implementation. It is important to discuss the status of the projects with business to see if the expectations are aligned. This afternoon we have a meeting where we discuss the roadmap for current and new projects and manage expectations.
Late afternoon I head to our office gym, where as usual Kaya, our fitness trainer, has prepared a nice, but challenging training session. After finishing the circuit HIIT training I am physically destroyed, but mentally refreshed. The stress just falls off.
A work day is usually closed in our office bar, The Aftermarket. I head there for couple of beers and a chat with work mates. Flow Traders is very international, so it’s fun to talk to people from different countries with different backgrounds. Some of them even speak French! J
What will you do?
- Work in a team of FPGA hardware and software engineers striving to build the fastest trading systems in the world;
- Participate in shaping the future of the FPGA landscape;
- Contribute to the development of productivity tooling that supports the RTL efforts;
- Stay informed of hardware industry technology;
- Build your skills in the finance industry and grow as FPGA Engineer.
What are we looking for:
- A university degree, preferably in Electronic Engineering or Computer Science;
- FPGA design experience with SystemVerilog, Verilog or VHDL
- Scripting ability (Preferably Python);
- Ability to work in a Linux environment;
- Low level programming experience with C/C++ (preferred);
- Experience with networking stack (Ethernet/IP/TCP/UDP), proprietary protocols and their implementation on FPGAs (preferred);
- An open, collaborative, self-critical attitude and willingness to learn ;
- A desire to understand how the systems you build fit into our trading activities;
- Eagerness to learn and broaden one's skill set is a must, also outside your department;
- Ability to take ownership and work in teams;
- Fluent in English.
Flow Traders offers you an exciting job and lots of opportunities within the most dynamic of environments. We like to think that talent grows at Flow and stays at Flow. To ensure this, we provide our employees with the best working environment, the latest technology, continuous support, and we go out of our way to retain the small business feeling with which we started. We offer a competitive salary and reserve a percentage of our business results for our bonus pool.
We offer fantastic perks, such as:
• Competitive salary and annual discretionary bonus;
• Flow Academy for continuous learning;
• Opportunities to attend domain-related conferences;
• We have our own in-house bar and gym, and a company boat;
• Free breakfast, lunch, snacks and amazing coffee;
• Table tennis, pool table, arcade and console games;
• A yearly company trip and Christmas party that exceed expectations;
• Fun team outings during the year;
• Nutritionist support, personal trainer, health checks;
• Chair massage;
• And many more.