Senior Transformation Project Manager
Some careers have more impact than others.
If you're looking for a career where you can make a real impression, join HSBC and discover how valued you'll be.
HSBC is one of the largest banking and financial services organisations in the world, with operations in 64 countries and territories. We aim to be where the growth is, enabling businesses to thrive and economies to prosper, and, ultimately, helping people to fulfil their hopes and realise their ambitions.
We are currently seeking an experienced professional to join our team in the role of Senior Project Manager
. Principal responsibilities
Global Change Delivery Senior Project Managers plan, mobilise and direct projects of high complexity and scale from project definition to closure. They are responsible for the end to end planning and delivery of one or more projects proactively balancing scope, schedule, budget, risks, team, outcomes and benefits. Projects can be standalone or form part of a programme. They are responsible for deploying GCD Project Management Framework and other GCD Business Transformation Frameworks(BTF) within their project. They work closely with the Programme Manager and Global Portfolio Management Office to ensure alignment of their project with the wider change portfolio and the Group Strategy, Values and Behaviours. Senior Project Managers will often play a people / team management role within the projects / programmes they work on. As members of the GCD management team, they will also have line management responsibility for a group of more junior resources within their resource pool (as related to their job family). i.e., Alongside project delivery responsibilities, the Senior Project Manager may have a line responsibility for a pool of Project Managers (people management, performance management, resource management and professional development). Value Creation:
- Plans effectively around delivery constraints and optimises the plan to maximise benefits and minimise risk. Develops the plan within constraints, considering the delivery approach, key milestones and dependencies within the plan, requirements and scope, effort and resources, budgets and quality
- Ensures the baselined scope, requirements, benefits, schedule and budget are managed as outlined in Business Transformation Frameworks. Identifies and intervenes where there is slippage and variance from plan
- Plans and analyses costs, tracking operating and capital spend, and tracks reporting to financial business case commitments
- Oversees the tracking of project/s risks/issues/dependencies, assesses the impact on the benefit realisation for the project/s and takes action to minimise impact, actively challenging and removing obstacles
- Influences and collaborates with stakeholder and business partners to drive the right project outcomes. Represents the project team at discussions regarding project prioritisation and to create buy-in for risk mitigation and contingency plans
- Obtains sponsor and stakeholder buy in to plans, key commitments and changes against baseline as they arise
- Obtains sponsor and stakeholder sign-off for deliverables, formally closes project, assesses stakeholder satisfaction and captures feedback. Captures key learns from each project and feeds back into Global Change Delivery methodologies and best practice
- Articulates to stakeholders the targeted benefits and takes joint responsibility for benefits realisation
- Manages the business sponsor, working with them to ensure project deliverables are met
- Plans and manages the implementation of the change, to ensure business benefits are realised and that the transition from current state to target state is smooth. Ensuring that the organisation and other change audiences are ready, willing and able to function in the new business environment
- Works closely with delivery partners on planning, design and estimating, bringing together delivery and business partner teams; actively managing dependencies between these teams and other projects and programmes
- Sets the pace and operating rhythm, driving a culture of achievement and ensures pace by identifying and removing barriers to project success
- Promotes pace and energy within the team and leads by example
Capability and People Development:
- Produce a well-defined project plan in Clarity, dictate the key milestones and assign responsibilities/resources
- Demonstrates effective financial skills to develop a detailed business case, including investments, detailed benefits and link to overall finances of the business.
- Develops and/or reviews estimates and estimating assumptions for the project's schedule, effort, and cost using established Global Change Delivery estimating models, best practices, and past experience
- Mobilises the project team and allocates tasks and roles
- Provides timely reports on project status, risks and issues, evaluating project performance based on management information
- Manages and reports on the project budget, acting on any variance
- Manages and reports project risks, issues and dependencies
- Maintains project change control, ensuring any changes to baseline are managed through change request and all impacts are considered
- Promotes and takes accountability for project quality; identifies opportunities to improve delivery and oversees the governance process to reduce risk and ensure effective and timely decisions are taken
- Collaborates with stakeholders to define the project strategy and develops a roadmap ensuring all constraints of time/resources are met.
- Ensures project teams follow quality assurance processes and GCD Business transformation frameworks. Ensures governance processes and decisions are applied consistently, including:
- Engaging the project sponsor and stakeholders effectively
- Creation and running of effective Steering Committee, who make focused decisions, based upon accurate and timely status, performance reports. Using the committee as the first point of escalation.
- Seeks project quality assurance, acting on recommendations.
- Use GCD Management Services team for standardised project metrics and reporting driven out of Clarity. Management by exception of budget and schedule variance. Ensuring accurate and responsible status reporting. Escalating, co-ordinating any mitigants or remedial action.
- Plans and executes regular tollgates in line with BTF.
- Direct the project approach, staffing, responsibilities, and schedule to drive maximum productivity
- Identifies and shares the resource requirements of the project, to the Programme Manager and/or Head of Resource Practice requesting the appropriate skill set and/or experience
- Ensure effective and appropriate resource on the project team and forming an effective project team, with the right blend of skills and good working relationships
- Ensuring good project induction and orientation - i.e. the team understand the project context and content, the importance of stakeholder management and wider programme goals
- Defines high level responsibilities and objectives for members of their project team
- Provides regular constructive feedback and coaching to individuals to improve their performance and support their development and career progression. Hold 1:1 discussion at least once every fortnight.
- Acts as a role model to create and maintain a collaborative team environment which supports and encourages the professionalisation and development of our teams
- Maintain a strong focus on people development and ensure project resources receive any necessary training and support, particularly on the GCD Business Transformation Frameworks.
- Outside of the project context, the Senior Project Manager will have line responsibility for a pool of Project Managers, typically this will involve, functional management, performance management, resource management and professional development, by setting and agreeing objectives with the Line Manager and coaching as and when required
- Drive a performance management based culture to improve and drive efficiencies and performance including the effective management of underperformers
- Promotes the Group's Values and strategy by creating a positive work environment and promoting teamwork to drive engagement
- Excellent understanding of the project lifecycle
- Excellent understanding of Global Change Delivery Business Transformation Frameworks and best practice techniques.
- A thorough understanding of the purpose, value, culture and fundamentals of Global Change Delivery
- Strong understanding of banking / HSBC and understanding of how change drives benefits for HSBC, its customers and other stakeholders
- Extensive project management skills and experience of managing large and complex projects
- Strong people manager and broad experience in managing large teams of different work streams
- Multiple strong examples of the delivery of on time and on budget projects that achieve business case stated outcomes - a driver with bias towards delivery at pace and controlling project outcomes
- In depth experience of working in a banking environment and change projects
- Good stakeholder management experience, especially impactful communication, influencing and running project governance Implementation, change management and benefits realisation
- Implementation, change management and benefits realisation
- Planning and Plan Management
- Portfolio Definition and Planning
- Process Re-engineering • Risk and Issues Management
- Global Mindset
- Customer Empathy
- Decision Making • Commerciality
- Lead Self and Others
- Business Analysis and Design
- Business Case and Benefits Realisation
- Change and Implementation Management
- Financial and Budget Management
- Tracking, Reporting and Governance
- Stakeholder Management
- Impactful communication
- Resource and Team Management
- Delivery at Pace
- Embracing change
- Achieving excellence
- Problem solving and Critical Thinking
- Innovation and Idea Management
Due to the urgent hiring need, candidates with immediate right to work locally and no relocation need will be prioritised.
The chosen candidate for this role will be required to undergo enhanced vetting. Subject to local laws, this will require the individual to satisfactorily pass a series of additional checks as part of the recruitment process and on an ongoing basis, if appointed to the role. HSBC Group reserves its position with regard to any steps which it may take in relation to any material adverse findings which arise either when the checks are originally completed, and/or if relevant, on an ongoing basis. For more information about the enhanced vetting for this role please contact the recruiter for this role.