SQL Database Administrator
Job Description: Job Description Essential Job Functions
- Monitors database activity and file usage, and ensures necessary resources are present. Determines data to collect and analyses information as appropriate. Investigates and resolves technical database issues of significance.
- Optimizes database accessibility by developing load balancing architectures and processes to eliminate down time for backup processes. Limits database accessibility based upon information security level and ensures data spillage from more secure to less secure databases does not occur.
- Implements and supports database security regulations, policies, and guidelines. Monitors security bulletins to obtain information of potential threats; installs necessary security patches to ensure ongoing database security.
- Plans and installs upgrades of database management systems (DBMS) software as necessary to enhance database performance. Researches various hardware and software products; recommends solution and implements approved products.
- Integrates databases and commercial of the shelf software; resolves conflicts between databases and of the shelf software, operating systems, and open source applications.
- Designs and tests database installation, implementation, and recovery scenarios. Determines test to use and collects appropriate data according to established guidelines. Participates in analysis, development and implementation of unique database recovery plans in response to client-impacting outages.
• Basic Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, management information systems, or related field preferred
- 2 or more years of experience in database design or maintenance
- Experience working with database and system maintenance procedures - backups, restores and recovery models
- Experience in High Availability (HA) and Disaster Recovery (DR) options for SQL Server
- Experience working with database creation techniques and database management systems (DBMS) features
- Experience working with database performance tuning and optimization (PTO)
- Experience with Windows server, including Active Directory
- Experience in MySQL, Maria DB, Mongo DB on Linux environment will be an added advantage.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Good programming skills for database management and general software
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to anticipate problems and take decisive action
- Office environment
- Shift hours including weekend and public holidays